Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Productive Week

It's been a fairly productive week. Finally got off my duff and went in for one of those free Lasik consultations to see if I would be a candidate for surgery. My eye doctor told me I wouldn't be. He said that my eyes were dry and that my prescription had changed, blah blah blah. Pretty much the same thing he told me last year and the year before that. Even though I am Nearsighted (can't see clearly far away) I am no where near coke bottle density in the lense department. So, I decided to strike out on my own and at least see what they had to say.

Turns out that I AM a candidate for surgery. Even the diabetes was not a problem. I had only one question. My eye doctor told me that I have astigmatism that actually works for me. He said in most people, they wind up beginning around the age of 40 needing reading glasses. Because of the way my astigmatism worked, I may never need them. Kind of like a built in regulator which means my astigmatism is a good thing. So, my question was, if I had the surgery, how long eventually before I would need reading glasses. I wasn't prepared for the answer. The Lasik doctor said, "Immediately." Oh HELL no! What would be the point of that?! My eyes aren't that bad over all and most of the time around the house, I don't even wear them. I do wear them out and of course to drive. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. I mean, I didn't even need glasses till I was like 42 and that was because I had to travel with my job and I couldn't always read street signs till I was right there on them. Anyway, their solution? MonoVision surgery. Hahahahahahaha That is where you have only one eye operated on. They would correct the nearsightedness in the right eye (since I am right dominate) and leave the left side so I could read. Turns out, that I would eventually need reading glasses only one lense would be clear glass and the other prescription. Now, how F'kd up is that?! And the price for this one eye? Right at $3000. Yep, I hear ya. That was pretty much my response too. Dang if I'm going to pay that much to mess myself up. I would rather be able to read my prescription bottle, the directions on a TV dinner, see my honey's face rather than a stop sign three blocks away. Call me stupid but, those are my preferences. Anyway, it was a learning experience and I'm glad I went.

I also scheduled my seminar for the Gastric Bypass this week as well. I've already gone through the six month required diet which thanks to the two cruises and various other weekend jaunts, I blew. I have to attend the seminar, meet with a nutritionist, meet with a psychologist (which I so can't wait to do!!! LOL) , labs, xrays and then get the letter from my primary care physician. He has already written out the script for the doctor so, hopefully this stuff won't take a year to do. Anyway, this was a productive week for me. I am a huge procrastinator so, for me I got a lot done.

Went to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival Saturday. It was awesome as usual. Had the best four layered frozen Margarita's in Mexico!! They even had Oklahoma (I know it's not a country but, they do these odd things some times.) and I had some seared Buffalo steak with scalloped wild onions and their Three Sister's soup. The Indians called zucchini, corn, and beans the three sisters. In Spain I had some Spicy Calamari Stew with Saffron Rice, Curried Butternut Squash soup in India, Authentic Pistachio Baklava from Turkey, Quiche au Fromage de Chevre in France, Spanakopita and a Greek salad in Greece and Arroz con Pato in Peru. And of course, all kinds of wine; red and white, frozen Margarita and a 12th year anniversary Festival Beer that was wonderfully smooth. Then we went to Le Cellier's for dinner where I had a huge 12 oz steak. I know. Not hard to blow a diet when there is wonderful cuisine staring you down.
I don't know why they have to make food taste so good. lol

That's it for me today. My eyes are finally back to normal following those dilation drops which make me feel yuck. So, I'm going out to work in the yard. Heard there was a cool front coming in this weekend. We should wake up Saturday morning in the mid to low sixties according to my mother. Of course it will heat up as the day goes on but, not get as hot as these 92 degree days.

Saturday is my daughter n law Joyce's thirtieth birthday and we are all going out for Sushi. I still haven't bought her a present. I just don't know what to get. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Landlady of Fat said...

Happy birthday to Joyce!!

Wow, a 4-layered margarita??? mmmhmmm

Gastric bypass! Wow... what're you gonna do when you fail the psych eval?? LOL

:::hugs:::

Darlene said...

Aw thanks. I'll pass on your birthday greeting.

Yea, the margarita was like mango, lime, and I forget the other two. It was pretty and mmmmm

Ha Ha You so fuunny. I think if I fail, I'll come visit you! LOL

:::squeeze:::